Lentil + Butternut Squash Soup with Kale
I was going to type up this recipe on Friday when I made it, but kids. Friday has usually been Pizza Night in our house, but now we've decided Friday is Soup Night. 1. It's cozy and perfect for the Fall/Winter season + 2. Leftovers for lunch on Saturday and/or Sunday = less cooking during the weekend.
I was going to make just a simple butternut squash soup, but I knew I would have to make something to go with it... how could I make this a one pot dish that would be filling and satisfying? Add in lentils! I love to follow recipes and get nervous to make up my own, but I decided to be brave and just go for it. I have to say this soup with delicious and the kids even enjoyed it too, as well as my husband. I would love to know some of your favorite soup recipes. Please share!
Lentil + Butternut Squash Soup with Kale:
* Note: Don't forget to add a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar at the end, it makes the soup!
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and small diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1teaspoon of kosher salt/freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz bag of frozen cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup of brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- a bunch of kale chopped thinly
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
In a large, heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for one more minute. Next, add in the tomato paste, curry powder, salt/pepper, butternut squash and lentils. Stir and cook for one more minute. Add in the chicken stock. Bring the soup to a simmer, then turn down to low and cook for about 35 minutes. You may need to add a cup of water during this time because the lentils will thicken the soup quite a bit. Add more salt and pepper as you wish.
Add in the kale, and cook for approximately 5 more minutes, then add a splash or two of apple cider vinegar.
Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese on top. I served ours with some garlic naan with butter, game changer!